Yam Chiffon Cake
Here i am, dusting off the layers of dirt that has piled on this old, deserted blog.
If anyone is still reading this blog, i am sorry for the long leave of absence.
Anyways, here is me trying to make up for lost time..
Let’s get things rolling, because time’s a wasting!
Today, i made a Yam flavored Chiffon cake.
Soft, fluffy, sponge like cake, artificially flavored (whoops!) with yam paste.
Yes, yes, i should have known better than to use something artificial. But It’s been such a long time since i baked something, and i figured i shouldn’t be to ambitious.
Yam paste is actually this thick liquid that has both the yam flavor as well as its unmistakable rich shade of purple. All i did was just to tip a couple of drops of it into the batter, and voila, instant yamm-iness!
There’s the cake in its mold.
And, there is the cake out of the mold…
As you can see, i am not exactly an expert at unmolding cakes. I pretty much skinned the gorgeous golden brown top layer off this cake (Hence the brush, needed to dust off all the crumb deluge).
Love the pastel purple shade. It makes me feel all princess-y ! :)
Yam Chiffon Cake
115 grams cake flour
25 grams sugar
75ml coconut milk (again, i used the instant one)
60 grams oil
About 5 drops of magical yam paste
5 egg yolks
7 egg whites
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
100 grams sugar
1. Sift the cake flour. Add the sugar. Whisk them together.
2. In another bowl, mix the coconut milk, oil and the magical yam paste together.
3. Slowly, stir the mixture into the flour mix. Add the egg yolks and combine. Set aside.
4. In yet another bowl, beat egg whites, salt and cream of tartar till foamy. Slowly add the sugar, beat till the egg whites form stiff but not dry peaks.
5. Gently fold the egg whites into the flour mixture
6. Pour mixture into an ungreased tube pan (my pan measures to be 20 cm on top, 15.5 cm bottom, height 10 cm).
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 160 degree Celcius (not F) for 55 minutes. Immediately invert baked cake still in pan to cool before unmolding.