Garlic Bread Baguette
I didnt take the shortcut making these. I learnt my lesson and went about making these breads the old, traditional way.
I got home late in the evening, and painstakingly took out my kitchen weighing scale, bread flour, and instant yeast (i am a morning baker. i am not a big fan of being in the kitchen in the evenings). I then proceeded to make my scalded and sponge dough, recipe below.
Thereafter, i let the whole party of ingredients in the refrigerator and wait for the instant yeasts to do their thang. I like yeast. They kind of remind me of the little elves who helped the shoemaker at night.
This A.M, i took out the said sponge dough from the refrigerator. I mixed, kneaded, proofed, baked as according to instructions. And i must say, the end results are a far cry from the previous baguette i made without the sponge.
I guess when the bakers gave instructions to make a sponge, they weren’t actually just trying to make life difficult for others. These garlic bread are way more flavourful than the previous baguette. They are also chewy and moist within. Double points!
Recipe: From Alex Goh’s Magic Bread
60 gr Bread Flour
45 gr Boiling water
240 gr Bread Flour
6 gr Sugar
6 gr Salt
4 gr Instant Yeast
135 gr Cold Water
75 gr Overnight Sponge *
15 gr Butter
1. Add the boiling water from I into the flour, mix until well blended to form dough. Cover and set aside to cool. Refrigerate for 12 hours before using.
2. Mix II until well blended. Add in III. Knead to form rough dough. Add in I. Knead until well blended.
3. Add in IV to form elastic dough. Let proof for 45 minutes.
4. Divide the dough into 85 gr. Mold it round. Let rest for 10 minutes.
5. Flatten the dough and roll into oblong shapes. Let proof for 45 minutes
6. Egg wash the surface and cut the centre with a sharp knife. Place some garlic butter** onto it.
7. Bake at 220 degree celcius for 18 minutes
* Overnight sponge
100 gr Bread flour
60 gr water at room temp.
1/4 tsp instant yeast
Mix water and yeast until well blended. Add flour, mix to form dough. Proof for 30 mins, wrap and refrigerate overnight.
** Garlic butter
10 cloves garlic
100 gr butter
Salt (not in recipe, but i added it anyways)