Cream of Mushroom Soup for everyone
“The standard of breakfast has dropped, it seems” joked Mr Crustabakes yesterday.
I looked up from where i was sitting, onto the plate of storebought blueberry puff pastry which Mr. Crustabakes was having for breakfast.
I turned my gaze over to Baby Crustabakes. She was squishing a piece of dragonfruit. And on her highchair tray, there was a homemade, sugar free, and gluten free fruit tart. Topped with pureed avocado and freshly diced cantaloupe and dragonfruit
The standard of breakfast for Mr.Crustabakes has sure dropped, but it didn’t land anywhere far. It merely shifted to Baby Crustabakes breakfast.
I admit, i have been spending ridiculous amounts searching the web on what to feed and what not to feed baby Crustabakes at her age.
Lots of adjustments were needed to convert a standard adult recipe to her babified version. At her age, baby Crustabakes still has lots of restrictions in her diet. Starting from gluten, sugar, salt, dairy, eggs, etc etc.
And it’s really straining, if not impossible for me to prepare two full fledged, very different breakfast for the two most important people in my life.
But i was determined, to do it, and so i came up with this.
Breakfast for the two champions.
What a time saver, this killing two birds with one stone recipe.
It saves me so much time that i was even able to decorate and snap pics. Hola!
Cream of Mushroom Soup
taken from allrecipes.com
- 115 g sliced fresh mushrooms
- 120 ml chicken broth
- 25 g chopped onion
- 0.1 g dried thyme
- 15 g butter
- 8 g all-purpose flour / 1/2 tsp Tapioca flour for babe
- 0.5 g salt (no salt for babe)
- 0.2 g ground black pepper (exclude for babe)
- 80 ml half-and-half/ 100 ml coconut milk for babe
- 5 ml sherry (exclude for both)
- In a large heavy saucepan, cook mushrooms in the broth with onion and thyme until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- In blender or food processor, puree the mixture , leaving some chunks of vegetable in it. Set aside.
- In the saucepan, melt the butter, whisk in the flour until smooth. Add the salt, pepper, half and half and vegetable puree. Stirring constantly, bring soup to a boil and cook until thickened. Adjust seasonings to taste, and add sherry.
- For the baby version, pour coconut milk in saucepan, add pureed mushrooms, thicken with tapioca starch mixed with a bit of water