I am taking a break from all the healthy, wholesome cooking to make way for this peach pie.
This pie is a full butter, double crusted, gluten-full pie made from refined white wheat flour.
The peaches came from a can which probably leached BPA.
White refined sugar was added to the peaches.
While the overall goal here is to make healthier, whole foods to feed my family. I’m taking baby steps towards it.
That canned peach? It was something I unwittingly bought a few months ago. I am using it as I am clearing my pantry of the less healthy food items and replacing it with the healthier ones.
Having said that, I don’t think i will go to the extremeties such as completely eliminating a certain food.
I ‘ll still use wheat flour to create gluten-full bread.
I will still dump cupfuls of sugar into my cookies. ( well, maybe I will hold back just a little)
My version of “healthy” is defined in the most universal way. Health ideas that most of us can unanimously agree on. And my first focus would be to buy ingredients as fresh and as less processed as possible.
I really don’t like the idea of reading the ingredient list on say, a pack of biscuit in the supermarket and not being able to pronounce some of the items listed there, be it preservatives, additives, or even coloring, So if i were really craving for that pack of biscuit, i would load up my grocery cart with flour, butter, sugar and whatever it takes to make that biscuit.
So wish me luck everyone. *tosses empty can of peach*
Makes a small pie with a diameter of about 12 cm
80 grams flour
60 grams butter, cubed and frozen
pinch of salt
pinch of sugar
1 to 1.5 tablespoon ice cold water
1 tbs beaten egg
1 cup of peaches (I used canned peach)
1 tbs flour
25 grams sugar
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/2 tbs butter
1. In a food processor, add the flour, salt and sugar and pulse a couple of times.
2. Add the butter, and pulse a few times until the mixture resembles peas.
3. Add ice water and pulse. The dough should start to hold together.
4. Remove dough from the food processor, and place it over your working surface. Form the dough into two discs, cover in pastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
5. Preheat oven to 425 F
6. Take the dough discs and roll it out till it’s at least 18 cm in diameter.
7. Place the rolled dough and arrange it into the pie dish. Brush the pie crust with egg whites so that it doesnt get soggy.
8. In a large bowl, place the sliced peaches. In another bowl, mix the flour, sugar cinnamon,salt and the beaten egg. Pour the mixture over the sliced peaches and mix gently with a wooden spoon.
9. Roll the second disc of dough to make the top crust. Cut small round holes into the disc to let air during baking
10. Spoon peaches onto the pie dish, cover with the second dough, folding the edges under.Dip a fork in the egg wash, and start pressing the edges with the tines of the fork.
11. Bake for 10 mins in a preheated oven. the reduce the heat to 350 F and bake for an additional 30-35 mins.
12. Cool before removing from pie dish,